So, after new install and updates of the Qosmio, I noticed my sysmessage log being spammed with the following message about every 5 seconds:
Jan 22 06:17:59 wrex-Qosmio-X505 kernel: [ 1198.323814] intel ips 0000:00:1f.6: MCP power or thermal limit exceeded
Annoying. No relevant fix as after a quick Google search, it appears to be a bug and quite common amongst several Laptop vendors (Again, annoying. Ubuntu devs needs to fix that sh*t).
So, updating my current kernel (2.6.35-24-generic) should fix, according to some.
Here's the process (files found at: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v2.6.37-natty/):
1. Download Generic kernel headers package:
2. Download Arch Headers:
- I386: linux-headers-2.6.37-020637-generic_2.6.37-020637.201101050908_i386.deb
- AMD64: linux-headers-2.6.37-020637-generic_2.6.37-020637.201101050908_amd64.deb
3. Download compiled kernel:
- I386: linux-image-2.6.37-020637-generic_2.6.37-020637.201101050908_i386.deb
- AMD64: linux-image-2.6.37-020637-generic_2.6.37-020637.201101050908_amd64.deb
4. Install the files in the same order (If you do them out of order, you will be sad).
5. Open a terminal window and run:
6. Reboot and select the kernel from the bootloader menu
If it`s not there check your steps.
7. Check to ensure new kernel has been applied:
root@wrex-Qosmio-X505:~# uname -r
That seems to have fixed the issue as I am not getting the message, any more, but now...
I'm getting this:
Jan 22 06:44:23 wrex-Qosmio-X505 kernel: [ 585.007396] NVRM: os_raise_smp_barrier(), invalid context!
I'm sure it's my (OMG_I_HATE_THIS_POS_VIDEO_CHIPSET_FRAK_NVIDIA!!!!) Nvidia. I'll post the fix after this, once I hammer it out. Ugh.